"Be still and know that I am God." God ~ Psalm 46:10

Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Using Strengths to Overcome Fear

A lot can be said about overcoming fear, and as I studied my devotion and the bible this morning, I felt that the Lord wanted me to write more on it. Yesterday, I talked about my daughter and her fear of giving a presentation at school. As a follow-up on that subject, I’m happy to inform you that she suddenly, surprisingly, developed a whole new attitude. She decided that she was, “just going to do it and get it over with.” She seemed to have resolved the issue in her mind and become confident enough to move forward. I had prayed that God would talk with her, because she didn’t appear to be listening to my advice. Apparently, he did just that!

Still, being the mother that I am, I reminded her that she already had a leg up on presenting because of other skills she possessed and performances she has done—training and competing in gymnastics with many, many people watching, or at a piano recital. It seemed to further boost her confidence.

Isn’t it the same for us adults? We have experiences, strengths, and talents that God has already given us; attributes that we know about ourselves to be true. In facing our fears or any uncertain circumstance we can rely on those things and move forward, even going head on into the uncertainty (the abyss?), trusting ourselves for that which we can and relying on God for the rest. (See yesterday's blog, "God Takes Hold", for bible verses of God’s promises for overcoming fear.)

If only we ask God for the wisdom and courage to pursue that which scares us, he will provide it. But we must ask for it. One small challenge may be the stepping-stone to a greater one, but with each experience, we become more prepared to handle the next. Thank God for experiences, good or bad, and know that they are the gist of building our character and spiritual maturity.

Let us pray:

Dear Heavenly Father, I know you are here for me, to love me and guide me, unceasingly. Forgive me in my humanness that sometimes keeps me from believing whole-heartedly in the power of your love and ability to provide for me in all things. Help me to seek and find comfort in your Word, to trust in you, and to use the strengths you’ve already positioned in my life to the best of my ability, relying on you for the rest. Thank you, Lord, for being with me as I face all uncertainty, and like a child, I will move forward in that confidence. Amen.

May God bless your day!

No comments:

Post a Comment