"Be still and know that I am God." God ~ Psalm 46:10

Monday, February 28, 2011

God Takes Hold

My daughter (12) must give a presentation at school tomorrow and is worried about getting up in front of her class and speaking. I understand the common fear, and I've been trying to give her some words of advice and encouragement. To which she has no intention of listening.

It worked when she was younger and had a piano recital that she was quite nervous about. At that time, I'd shared with her two bible verse that I always keep close by:
For I am the Lord, your God, who takes hold of your right hand and says to you, Do not fear; I will help you.  Isaiah 41:13
and
I can do all things through Christ which strengthens me.  Philippians 4:13
I told her to imagine God holding her right hand and walking her to the piano bench, and then sitting right there with her as she played her recital piece. I told her that God would help her through it. She said, "Okay, Mommy." (Not the response I got this morning.)

I love these two verses, and they have given me courage and confidence many times as I make my way through this life. I've said to God: you promised to help me through and I'm depending on your word. I've visualized God holding my right hand and think of the power in that gesture. (In the Old Testament, the left hand wasn't all that useful so they always referred to the "good" hand, the right hand. Which is a little disconcerting because I'm left-handed. Anyway...)

I so want to help my daughter be more confident with her presentation tomorrow, but she's at an age where she doesn't believe everything I tell her anymore. I guess she doesn't want to hear, If God be for us, who can be against us? Romans 8:31 right now either. Do you think?

You know how it is with mothers and daughters, and I'm sure that this is just one of those things. If someone else, say her confirmation guide, would share these verses with her, she'd have a nice chat about it and decide to hold onto those thoughts. But, as I see it, my best option is to hand her fears over to God, and ask him to talk to her. That, and help her practice the presentation tonight. If she'll allow me. Probably not.

But if you are ever feeling fearful or anxious, go to your bible and read these verse, believe in them, memorize them, and just see if you don't imagine God giving your right hand a good, confident squeeze.

May God bless your day!

No comments:

Post a Comment