"Be still and know that I am God." God ~ Psalm 46:10

Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Paradise Reopened ~ See How to Get Your Foot In The Door

This is the holiest week of the year, yet we often go about our lives without paying much attention to it until Easter Sunday, when we bring out the dyed eggs, the Easter baskets, and celebrate the Easter Bunny. Wait a minute...the Easter Bunny?

Yes, I fear that the Easter Bunny often gets more attention than the one whom this week is really about: Jesus.

This week is meant for remembrance of the activities that took place so long ago: the Last Supper, the torment, the passion, the crucifixion of the man Jesus Christ. And why should we remember it and celebrate it? Because in this week so long ago, Jesus reopened the doors to paradise.

Through Jesus dying on the cross for us, we are promised eternal life and salvation. As Christians, we will live on in heaven, in paradise. If that isn't worth celebrating, I don't know what is!

Now I love the Easter Bunny and all of the magic that brings our children (and adults) so much joy as much as anyone. There is so little magic in the world, and I am one that continues to give both Santa Claus and the Easter Bunny a wild and free rein to light up the hearts and eyes of children everywhere. Yet, in the midst of that, we need to bring Jesus to the forefront, reminding ourselves and our children that, just like Christmas, "Jesus is the reason for the season".

Fortunately, many of us do have wonderful ways of remembering Jesus in this holy week. Perhaps it's rewatching the Passion of Christ, or the children's movie: the Story of Jesus, perhaps it's attending Maundy Thursday or Good Friday services at your church as well as the Easter Sunday service.
I think that Jesus would be very sad if, after being nailed to a cross (think about it ~ spikes driven through his human flesh) for us, we barely gave him a passing thought. On behalf of Jesus, I hope you do those things that remember him first and best this week. May God bless you in doing so!

By the way, As a Christian, you already have your foot in the door to paradise. :-)

6 comments:

  1. I would probably ask myself why the Easter Bunny and Santa Claus keep me disconnected from Jesus? A kind of reversal of things by putting the ball in one's own court and asking the question of oneself. I used to see my neighbor in an unflattering light because she was inconsiderate of something I held dear. Then I posed the question to myself, and realized that the obstacle between us really resided in me and was about an unresolved pain I needed to heal in myself. We are now great friends and I don't even think about that which used to stand between us. I guess it has a lot to do with looking at the man/woman in mirror and posing the question to oneself. BTW, I truly believed my neighbor was the problem for a very long time!:):)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for commenting, Vera! I don't think it has a much to do with the Easter Bunny or Santa Claus as keeping our priorities straight.

    Although, I do know what you mean about having an obstacle within ourself that we project onto someone else. It certainly is a paradigm shift when we figure out what (or who) the real problem is! Reminds me of a book by Ann Lamotte called Traveling Mercies.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love Ann Lamotte! You mention "our" priorities, did you maybe mean, "your own" priorities? For me, whenever I lump people together it usually means I'm hiding something from myself. My kids call me on this all the time and remind me to use "I" statements:):) Sometimes I think they are parenting me which wouldn't surprise me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I do love that Easter Bunny and Santa but around here we know who is King and we try very hard to put him first:)
    Thank you Rita for your very kind and thoughtful comments. People like you really do make my heart feel better.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Vera, no, I meant to write "our", relating to an audience who, like me, can see themselves in this situation. Not necessarily your priorities. Perhaps better wording would be leaving out "our", but I think this is just debating semantics rather than the original intent of the post, which is to remember Jesus in this holy week. Not everyone needs a reminder, but if it nudges one person in that direction, hooray!

    Our children love to correct us with all of the wonderful things they are learning. My daughter has also corrected me with making "I statements" in conversations, so as not to blame or accuse or project. Gotta love 'em!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey Doreen,
    I'm not surprised that you and your family are celebrating Jesus this week! Your wonderful writing tells it all! Even after all you've been through, you are a shining example of a Christian.
    I hope you have a great Easter!

    ReplyDelete